Friday 24 September 2010

Experiments with Pie

Once again I'm spending today preparing for the BWOG.  As hubby, F and I are planning a day out in Tilgate Park near Crawley tomorrow I won't have much chance to cook in the day so I'm slow cooking a chicken ahead of time.  The plan originally was to make chicken and bacon pie but unfortunately I forgot one vital ingredient when doing Wednesday's big shop - the bacon.  So the pie has been metamorphosed into an experimental chicken and chorizo pie.

I'm cooking the chicken ahead of time in the slow cooker for a few reasons.  Firstly to save on time.  Secondly cooking a whole chicken in the way is more economical than using breasts which are too expensive if you're on a budget.  And thirdly (and probably most importantly) it tastes nice.  When I normally do it I cook it in chicken stock - when you slow cook a chicken you're essentially poaching it for hours.  This time because I'm planning on teaming it up with chorizo I'm cooking it in a mixture of red wine and stock.  I'll use this cooking liquid to make the sauce for the pie.  I'll put up a proper recipe once it's done as at the moment I'm kind of making it up as I go along!

No comments:

Post a Comment